The 10 Truths About Trial in New Jersey Family Court Hudson County
Going to trial for your divorce or other family law issue in the New Jersey Superior Court Hudson County Vicinage and Elswhere in New Jersey and what it is really like. I will go over some myths and truths below.
- My spouse cheated on me so I do not have to pay alimony (WRONG).
- My spouse hit me so I will automatically get alimony (WRONG).
- The Judge Will Listen To Everything I Have to Say (WRONG). The rules of evidence are strict and your testimony has to be relevant and must adhere to the rules of evidence.
- The Judge will order alimony because my spouse cheated. (False). The Judge may order alimony based on all the facts.
- I will get custody because I am the mother. (WRONG).
- Going to trial is easy and cheap. (WRONG). Trial takes time and alot of money.
- I am a dad and a male Judge will be better for me. (WRONG).
- I am a dad, I cannot obtain custody right? (WRONG).
- The Judge can't make me pay my spouse's lawyers fees right? (The Judge Can Order That).
- A Judge Cannot Throw Me in Jail/Prison For Not Paying Alimony. (WRONG).
- The Jury Will Decide My Case Right? (NOPE).
- The Judge Will Only Be Working On My Trial Right? (Wrong and Impossible).
- I am a man, I can't get alimony right? (WRONG).
- I was only married five years, I don't have to pay alimony right? (WRONG).
- We Do Not Have Any Accounts Together So He/She Can't Get Any Right? (WRONG).
- The house is only in her name, can I get my share? (MAYBE).
- I am not going to sign for a divorce so it won't go through right? (WRONG).
- A Judge will make a decision fast after a trial right? (MAYBE, MAYBE NOT)
- The trial will not take more than 3-4 days right? (MAYBE, It can also take months).
- My lawyer will only charge for time in court right? (I DOUBT THAT. NEED TO PREPARE, WAITING TIME).
- My Spouse will be ordered to pay my lawyer's fees right? (MAYBE).
- The Judge will not order me to sell my house right? (THE JUDGE CAN).
- I can change Judges during my trial (GOOD LUCK).
The statements and questions above are just simple examples about trial in the divorce courts in New Jersey. If you have a case in New Jersey and it is important you, contact my Jersey City office today on 973-337-9643.