Child Support and Child Support Modification Hudson County Jersey City By Santo Artusa on July 31, 2020


Changing a current New Jersey family court order can be done. It is important to know that Child Support and Child Custody can always be changed in New Jersey Family Court (under the right circumstances). As a divorce and family law attorney in Jersey City-Hudson County, I am experienced in child support and child custody modifications for increased parenting time, increased child support and/or changing the custody/parenting time arrangement. In order to do so, you need to show a significant change in circumstances which there is not a black and white definition. For emancipation in child support cases, you need to show the child has left the sphere of influence which can be done in a number of ways (marriage, military enrollment, full-time work, part-time work living on their own, not working or going to school full-time and other situations.

Reasons to Modify

  • Increase in the other parties salary
  • A decrease in your salary
  • More parenting time
  • One party moving further away
  • Other dependent Deductions (for a decrease you have more children)
  • Shared Custody 
  • Change of Jobs
  • Neglect of the child's needs
  • Poor performance in school
  • Health issues
  • Long Term Unemployment
  • Relocation 
  • New Living Arrangements

The list above are just some reasons to modify custody, modify parenting time, modify child support post-divorce or post-court order. I am experienced in representing individuals that seek modifications of court orders. Modifying an order can be difficult and you must be able to show a significant change in circumstances. For example, Charlie is age 12, he begins to perform poorly in school and quits certain sports, this may be a reason to modify custody or parenting time. Another example is your find out that the non-custodial parent just bought an expensive house which leads you to believe he or she earns more money or you simply know he or she does, you can bring an application for an increase in child support. You will need to show your income as well so that the court can calculate a new order. 

The Hudson County family court handles child support and child custody modifications. My team and I are one of the most active family law and divorce firms in Hudson County. I believe representing so many individuals in the court gives our clients an advantage as we know the particular styles of the Judges and their law clerks. While that in no-way guarantees certain results, it does help to know your audience. 

If you have a case and seek to modify an order in the Hudson County Family Court contact us on 973-337-9643 or 201-706-3788 for a phone consultation or video consultation at no cost for the first 15 minutes. 


Related to This

Santo V. Artusa, Jr.

Santo V. Artusa, Jr.

Since 2009, Mr. Artusa has dedicated his career to representing clients in and near Jersey City in family law and criminal cases. He is a skilled negotiator and litigator who has received a range of prestigious recognitions, including:

  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
  • Client Distinction Award 2015

For more information about our legal services, contact our office online or call (973) 337-9643 today.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite

Jersey City Office

26 Journal Square Plaza
Ste 603
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Closed Today

Jersey City Office

121 Newark Avenue
Second Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Closed Today

By Appointment

Hoboken Office

50 Harrison Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

Closed Today

By Appointment

Passaic County Office

3 Hoover Avenue
Passaic, NJ 07055

Open Today 9:00am - 5:00pm

What is the best time for you?

Add additional time

Which location would you prefer?

Tell us a bit about yourself...

(973) 337-9643 Send a message